The life cycle of the butterfly is a truly wonderful thing. The butterfly Garden from Prezzybox is the best way to introduce this miracle of nature to your children. It also fits into your childs minibeast study like a charm. Whether youre at home or in the classroom, theres no better way to get up close and personal with these astonishingly beautiful and fascinating insects.
The Butterfly Garden kit contains:
- Certificate for five live Painted Lady caterpillars (no live specimens are in the kit).
- Reusable Habitat Net (30 cubic cm).
- Feeding kit and full instructions.
So how does the Butterfly Garden work?
1) Send off your voucher for live caterpillars. They'll arrive in the post within a few days.
2) When they arrive, put them in the tub and watch as they grow. You wont believe how big they get! You don't need to feed them anything as the material inside the tub feeds them as they grow.
3) When they're really big, they'll start spinning silky webs and eventually they'll form a chrysalis. When that happens, take the paper disc out and pin it to the side of the net.
4) After a short while, you'll be able to watch the fully-grown butterflies emerge from their chrysalis. They can survive in the netting if you provide some fresh flowers from the garden. But don't hold on to them for too long they may be beautiful but they belong outside. Set them free in the garden and watch as they go off to create more butterflies.
It takes about 3-5 weeks for the entire cycle to take place, so this is a great project for the kids. They can monitor their progress and take photos every day until they are released.
Please note: The Butterfly Garden does not contain live caterpillars but a certificate to redeem for the live creatures in Spring, Summer or early Autumn. There is a £2 postage and packing charge payable for the caterpillars to be sent to you.